The University seeks a collaborative, enterprising, and strategically minded professional to join our expanding corporate engagement team. The team is the focal point for corporate relations activity at and on behalf of the University of Minnesota (UMN) with responsibilities of providing corporate partner-centric service, brokering collaborative industry agreements, and influencing industry activity on campus.
This Corporate Research Partnerships Officer position reports to Technology Commercialization (Tech Comm) in the Office of Vice President for Research (OVPR) at the University of Minnesota. In coordination with corporate relations functions across the University, the Corporate Research Partnerships Officer connects companies with the University’s research enterprise such as our experts (faculty and researchers), technologies available for licensing and research equipment and facilities with the ultimate goal of creating mutually beneficial partnerships. This role will collaborate across the University system to promote University areas of excellence to companies with a focus on biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical sciences and to create opportunities for company-UMN collaborations.
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) and Technology Commercialization endorses a “work with flexibility” approach that offers a welcoming and flexible work environment where everyone is inspired to do their best. Work location options include working fully remote, partially remote, or entirely in the office and are based on the work of the position. Some on-site work may be necessary for certain positions, even those designated as fully remote.
This position has been designated as work profile 3. Profile 3 is expected to work remotely more than 50% of the time. Your dedicated office space will be in your remote work location. Technology Commercialization management retains the right to modify flexible work arrangement agreements on a temporary or permanent basis for any reason at any time.
Strategic partnership management (60%)
• Maintain in-depth knowledge of UMN’s research, activities, and resources strategically matching them to the interests of companies. • Cultivate inquiries from companies, prioritizing relationships that advance University research and innovation. • Proactively identify, develop, and cultivate new research and innovation partnerships with companies. • Assess the value of research partnerships that align with university, researcher, and company needs while leveraging Technology Commercialization and collaborator’s resources. • Plan and execute company specific meetings and events with UMN faculty and researchers.
Identify and promote corporate funding opportunities to UMN researchers (20%)
• Develop and implement approaches to identify UMN experts that match company needs and interests. • Promote opportunities to partner with companies and to seek research funding from corporations. • Maintain collaborative relationships with UMN colleges, departments, labs, and faculty. • Coach researchers in best practices and processes for establishing corporate partnerships.
Negotiate intellectual property and licensing terms in research contracts (10%)
• Promote the Minnesota Innovation Partnerships (MN-IP) program. • Review intellectual property terms in sponsored research agreements. • Be a subject matter expert on models and agreements for corporate research partnerships.
Other duties as assigned (10%)
Similar to others in Technology Commercialization, this position may be requested or volunteer to be involved in other projects or temporary assignments. Examples include but are not limited to: • Benchmarking activities • Attendance at trade shows and conferences • Documentation of processes, best practices, and standard operating procedures
• BA/BS degree • 8 years of experience post BS degree in either academia and/or industry, including 5 years of experience in product management, business development, corporate engagement, licensing or alliance management in either a corporate or academic setting
• BS in biological, life or medical sciences, physical sciences, engineering or technology • Advanced degree such as MS, PhD, or MBA • Understanding of the academic research environments • Understanding of corporate research and product development environment • Demonstrated teamwork, collaboration, and partnering skills • Understanding of intellectual property, licensing, and/or contracting
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Able to establish and build strong interpersonal relationships • Able to influence and lead without positional authority • Exceptional poise, diplomacy, and integrity • Able to solve problems creatively and develop new approaches when needed
The University of Minnesota, founded in the belief that all people are enriched by understanding, is dedicated to the advancement of learning and the search for truth; to the sharing of this knowledge through education for a diverse community; and to the application of this knowledge to benefit the people of the state, the nation, and the world.