A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
The University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC) is a center of excellence, located in Tucson, Arizona and treating patients from throughout the southwest. As an NCI comprehensive cancer center, we have a strong focus on research with an overall mission to prevent and cure cancer. Patients at The University of Arizona Cancer Center are treated by psychologists, nurses, nutritionists, social workers, genetic counselors, pharmacists, and more; all of whom are experts in their specialties. Our multidisciplinary approach means our patients get the best treatment possible: treatment tailored to them. On the forefront of prevention, treatment and research, our oncology services work tirelessly for our patients dealing with all types of cancer. From detection and diagnosis to treatment and bedside care, we work to make our patients' lives better, empowering them to become cancer survivors.
The Associate Director, Pharmacy - Oncology will lead our team of clinical pharmacists, staff pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians in the outpatient setting to support care for oncology patients. The Associate Director, Pharmacy - Oncology is responsible for providing both clinical and operational leadership to a highly trained team of expert pharmacists and technicians. Responsibilities include leading day to day operations of the pharmacies at both our UACC and Orange Grove locations, building and growing clinical pharmacy services, guiding the pharmacy investigational team, ensuring high quality pharmacy services are provided to all of our patients, training our PGY2 oncology pharmacy resident, and leading our team into the future of oncology care. This leader will address regulatory, financial, and clinical responsibilities in coordination with other Banner Health pharmacy leaders. This position reports to the Director, Pharmacy Academic and leads a team of approximately 25 professionals.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health-care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for its specialized pediatric services including neonatal and intensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies. Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is a Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we care for the most critically injured patients. The hospital is consistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in the prestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful care has been recognized with Magnet(tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital's physicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty services include comprehensive heart and cancer care, advanced neuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplant program.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for providing managerial and programmatic direction for the operation of Pharmacy Services. Develops, budgets, standards of work performance and plans, directs, and monitors and evaluates the provision of distributive and clinical pharmacy services. Promotes and demonstrates effective inter-disciplinary and inter-facility collaboration and serves as facilitator for education, consultation, and research. Responsible for leading and overseeing the operational activities of the Department of Pharmacy Services. Ensures the functions of the department are consistent with the policies and procedures. May supervise activities that provide for the purchasing, receiving, storage, delivery, and distribution of medications and related supplies. Assures adequate departmental staffing according to workload while maintaining expected productivity levels. Supports implementation of clinical plans and helps to maintain information systems within the pharmacy. Develops standards of work performance, orientation and training programs. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served while maintaining the ideals of service excellence. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Responsible for all routine operations of Pharmacy Services. Participates in the recruitment, selection, orientation, professional development and evaluation of employees. Serves as a change agent, role model, and serves as facilitator for education, consultation, and research. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions
2. This position is accountable for an effective departmental operation within the budgetary constraints through the monitoring and controlling of expenses and through promotion of rational, cost-effective utilization of medication therapy.
3. Assists with development of goals, objectives, and programs for the pharmacy department consistent with those of the organization's overall strategic plan. Demonstrates effective inter-disciplinary and inter-facility collaboration. Plans efficient and effective utilization of resources. Ensures compliance with regulatory agency standards. Implements decisions of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and other hospital committees in relation to formulary management and process improvements. Assumes accountability for special projects as assigned.
4. Defines and resolves issues with the medication distribution system. Continually evaluates performance relative to need for improvement of processes to assure the safe and appropriate delivery of medications to all patient care areas. Provides leadership for development and implementation of innovative systems.
5. Provides leadership and direction to the pharmacy staff. Promotes positive relations and actively contributes to a supportive work environment. Fosters a team environment within the department and across the system. Communicates with their direct supervisor regarding personnel issues.
6. Helps to establish and revise, when necessary, standards of care for pharmacy practice. Monitors and ensures compliance with departmental and organizational policies and procedures, Federal and State laws, and regulatory agency standards. Investigates and initiates the resolution of customer complaints. Plans, supports, and leads Quality Improvement efforts for pharmacy services. Provides pharmacy representation and leadership on hospital and medical staff committees.
7. Serves as a professional resource in facilitating inter-disciplinary practice and communication.
8. This position participates in all aspects of medication use, including (1) selection, procurement and storage, (2) ordering or prescribing, (3) dispensing, (4) administering and (5) monitoring of all medications utilized. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint Commission, State Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS A degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy. Requires current pharmacy licensure in the state of practice within 90 days of hire.
Pharmacy licensure. Banner Registry and Travel positions require licensure in the state of practice within 90 days from the date of hire.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Must be able to use reference tools to evaluate patient care and answer questions posed by customers.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing system.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Advanced degree, Hospital Residency, or Master of Business Administration (MBA), or experience in hospital pharmacy with supervisory experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R23561
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.